Reds Bagnell

In 1950, Reds Bagnell was one of the best running backs in America. His spectacular play earned him The Maxwell Award and All-American honors. He also was named Player of the Year by Football Digest and the Helms Foundation. He finished third in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy.

As a youngster, Bagnell hung around Penn football practices and was drafted into becoming a water boy for the team. Little did he realize that one day he would be the team's captain and the recipient of deafening cheers at Franklin Field.

As a sophmore in 1948, Bagnell came off the bench with five minutes to play in the third game of the season and led a Penn rally that beat Columbia, 20-14.

In 1949, his best game of the season was against Army where he completed 15 of 20 passes.

In 1950, he rushed for 214 yards and passed for 276 yards in a 42-36 victory over Dartmouth. His total offense of 490 yards and passing streak of 14 straight passes in this contest were national records. Bagnell finished the 1950 season with 1,603 yards on offense, ranking eight in the nation.

Following his senior season, Bagnell was selected to play in the North-South All-Star Game and the College All-Star Game. However, he chose not to continue his career and play professional football.

While at Penn, Bagnell was a three-sport letterman, earning varsity letters in football, basketball and baseball in 1948, 1949 and 1950. He also was awarded the "University of Pennsylvania Class of 1915 Award" as the Ideal Athlete at Penn in his senior year.

In 1976, he was elected President of The Maxwell Football Club and led the Club through its most memorable years since Bert Bell's tenure in the 1950s.

In 1977, Bagnell was elected to the National Football Foundation's College Hall of Fame. He would later serve as a Director of the National Football Foundation.

In 1981, he was appointed by President Ronald Reagan to the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Bagnell enjoyed a long and successful business career in the securities industry and in the oil and gas field.

He died in July 1995.